Uganda Safari During Covid19
Our primary safari destinations, Uganda and Rwanda, are open for travel. We hope you have been safe during these very challenging times, with the continued impact of COVID-19 on global travel, the Sight View Safaris travel team focuses on our guests’ safety, both current and future. Uganda’s current situation is that tourism is open, although with specific inbound restrictions, please endeavor to read travel restrictions and entry requirements before you confirm your booking.
We’re happy to say that June was one of our busiest months since the pandemic crippled the travel industry. We see more travelers beginning to get back on the safari trails in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda, the destinations where we operate. We hope to see more get back to enjoying the fresh African air. We are confident to say that many of our clients who didn’t postpone or cancel their Uganda safari in the past months report great comfortability and assurance with the health and safety precautions in place. We have many new guests booking for 2021/22.
This suggests increased confidence in travelers looking to venture out into the world again. For those set to travel to Africa in 2021, we wish you a magical experience. We believe that East Africa is one of the safer destinations, both in terms of protocols adhered to at our personally-vetted lodges and the wide-open landscapes they are in. Africa is calling you that glorious adventure through the rolling hills, lush savannahs, encounters with mountain gorillas, chimpanzees, the cultures, and Africans where we operate.
During 2020, we were heartened to witness over 90% of our clients deferring their trips as needed a crucial element in ensuring our partner lodges and camps continue their conservation efforts and support the communities in which they operate. They play a significant role in everything from managing anti-poaching to employing people in regions were paying one person usually means feeding ten mouths.
With our travelers rescheduling their trips, these essential initiatives remain intact. In the past few weeks, we’ve been further heartened to see a decrease in the number of deferrals due to the recent developments in Uganda’s COVID-19 situation. Nevertheless, we compel those guests not to postpone because of the wide vaccine availability and we now know that a safari is one of the safest environments.
If you are traveling in the next few months, our goal is to stay in touch with you on any new developments. We implore all our soon-to-travel guests to make sure that they receive their complete vaccine jab before they leave their country.
If you are due to travel in the coming weeks and have not connected with you yet, please contact your Uganda Safari Manager immediately to talk through the options available.
For any clients traveling in the later months of the year, please feel free to get in contact with your Uganda Safari Expert, who continues to be your point of communication before, during, and after your trip. We feel the positive momentum here in Uganda and believe our destinations will continue to stay open throughout the year, subject to travel restrictions in your country of origin.
Since 2014, we have successfully navigated various crises and global disruptions. We are committed to creating once-in-a-lifetime trips while supporting conservation, communities, and sustainability in Uganda, now more than ever.
We wish you a safe, healthy, and fantastic time with your loved ones. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful continent!
Flexible Booking Terms 2021
- Free cancellation or postponement until 40 days before the travel date, with 60% deposit refundable. Specific itineraries may be excluded from the policy, and your Travel Expert will advise you of any particular terms relevant to your booking during the consultation phase. Where suppliers offer postponement but not a refund, we will only pass on the supplier charges applied.
- Within 40 days of the travel date, if travel bans relating to Covid-19 remain in place, we will work with our suppliers to extend or revise these terms. Otherwise, our standard cancellation terms apply.
Suppose you have contracted COVID-19 and are undergoing treatment or in quarantine up to 48 hours beforehand. In that case, we will work with our suppliers to minimize financial loss and provide credits for future travel. Sight View Safaris reserves the right to ask for any reasonable evidence, written statements, and or documents to support the reasons for cancellation that are given.
- Should the new booking date demand an increase in cost because of a change in the travel season, then the new invoice will reflect the rate difference.
- For any bookings canceled, we will apply cancellation policies of the booked properties.
- Regarding gorilla & chimp permits, UWA (Uganda Wildlife Authority) is conscious that due to the above measures, some tourists may find it necessary to change their planned travel plans. The Authority has therefore just reviewed its reservation, booking, and cancellation guidelines as follows:
- Travelers whose travels have been affected by coronavirus will not be charged for a reschedule at a later date. Provided, the request is made before the tracking date. Only two reschedules will be allowed for any activity (obviously, the reschedule of permits is subject to availability).
- Any cancellation request will follow the existing cancellation policy/procedure:
– More than 90 days before the tracking date, a 25% cancellation fee
– 89 to 46 days before the tracking date, 50% cancellation fee
– 45 to 9 days before the tracking date, 75% cancellation fee
– 8 to 0 days before the tracking date, 100% cancellation fee
- These provisions will be in effect until 31st March 2021, unless otherwise changed after a review process.
- Rwanda Development Board (RDB) has also adjusted its policies as follows:
- For tourists wishing to postpone their park permits, remove the 7-day notice period before the visiting date.
- For tour operators who submitted final payment for reserved permits, remove the 30-day requirement before the visiting date.
- Travelers from countries with confirmed cases have up to 2 years to postpone their park permits at no extra cost.
- Tourists who purchased low season discounted permits for mountain gorilla trekking are free to postpone two years.
- MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Events) tourists who purchased discounted permits for mountain gorilla trekking are free to postpone within two years.
- You may now change or cancel up to 40 days before departure in the event of a COVID-19-related reason whether for reasons at home or in your travel destination and receive a credit toward future safari. For tailored/private safaris, some exclusions and penalties may apply considering our supplier’s policies, which will be advised in writing before confirmation. Guests who cancel without rebooking will receive a credit toward future safari valid through December 31, 2022; credit is non-transferable and non-refundable. The applicable price of new safaris applies.
- Guest is responsible for non-refundable air fees, insurance, and other related costs.
- All other standard terms and conditions apply to the booking.
- Special terms are subject to change and can be withdrawn at any time.
COVID-19-related reasons for cancellation include
- Do Not Travel Global Health Advisory, or the government in the guest’s country of residence restricts all but essential travel.
- Do Not Travel due to COVID-19 for the destination the guest is traveling to, or the government in the guest’s country of residence issues a comparable advisory
- The guest’s destination is traveling to have entry restrictions that prohibit the guest from traveling, such as closed borders or extended quarantine requirements.
- International flights are canceled without alternative routing available for guests to use to reach the destination(s) in the itinerary.
Due to the dynamic nature of the current situation, we will monitor the developments closely, and we reserve the right to make changes to the above policy from time to time and notify all agents accordingly.
Safari Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
Open spaces, sunshine, and fresh air are an excellent environment for avoiding Covid, making an Africa safari one of the best leisure travel activities at this time.
At Sight View Safaris, we have assembled a Covid-19 Safari Response Committee whose job is to oversee our procedures, operations, and the guest experience ensuring health and safety are at the forefront of our safari operations. Here we outline the minimum of the policies and procedures we will require to book you in any facility and have in place for our guests’ safety and our staff your safari trip.
Our travel team and responsiveness are designed to be agile and adaptive, monitoring and working with the latest available information from the WHO, Ministry of Health, and East African Governments. As such, practices indicated below may be adapted and changed as the situation evolves.
The Government of Uganda recommends that all travelers from Category 2 countries (USA, UK, UAE, Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, and Tanzania) complete their vaccination process before leaving their country. Otherwise, they’ll be subjected to compulsory PCR COVID-19 TESTING at all entry points. Those with complete vaccine and everyone else will have to present a VALID NEGATIVE PCR COVID-19 TEST CERTIFICATE on arrival for entry and exit. Find out more
Safari Camps and Lodges SOPs
To ensure our guest’s safety, we have vatted and checked with all our suppliers for Covid-19 standards of operation. We have suspended from our booking sheet for those that we find that have not complied with WHO, MoH, and Government standards. We will continue to vet for operational standards in our clients’ facilities, especially our own facilities.
The following is what we observe;
- Less or no inter-person contact and items of high touch sanitized thoroughly between uses.
- Use of credit card facilities over cash for all transactions, with the card machine sanitized between uses.
- Luggage handled with gloves, and luggage handles wiped with sanitizer.
- Handwashing and hand sanitizer stations are set up around the property’s public areas so that they are readily accessible to our guests.
- Public areas are cleaned regularly throughout the day, focusing on high-touch areas such as armrests, tables, and books, and during and after higher levels of guest activity.
- All meals are plated and served individually, with no buffets for any meal. Dining times staggered as much as possible to avoid overcrowding and ensure social distancing at mealtimes. Tables in dining rooms well-spaced, with room service offered for those wanting it.
- A dedicated waiter to our guests is encouraged during their stay for their comfort and meeting their needs.
- Menus are presented verbally to each table and then displayed by the waiter to make their choices – the guests will not need to handle it.
- Use personal protective equipment for all service staff, such as gloves and masks.
- Cleaning products will contain either 70% alcohol base or 0.1% sodium chloride. Between guests, rooms will receive a deep clean with a heightened focus on areas of frequent touches, such as light switches, taps, torches, handles, bedside tables, and stationery.
- Each room will have a dedicated housekeeper who will be the only person to enter the room during your stay.
- Guests checking in to find a sign indicating that the room has been thoroughly sanitized and indicating their dedicated housekeeper.
- Morning tea & coffee will continue to be delivered, and only by your dedicated housekeeper, with items having been cleaned and sanitized in the kitchen.
- The WHO has indicated that well-kept pools with chlorine levels between 1-3mg/l, with a pH between 6.8-7.4, are safe. Guest numbers at the pools will be limited, and poolside furniture will be regularly cleaned between uses and well-spaced.
Covid-19 Tests for our Guests
You will be required to have a Covid test and carry with you a negative PCR COVID-19 test certificate issued within 72 hours before you arrive in Uganda, Kenya, and Rwanda. If we have to take tests, we will guide you to the nearest government-licensed lab and help you through the process.
Individuals who have received full COVID-19 vaccinations and have no signs of any infection will be exempted from PCR tests at all entry points and allowed into Uganda. Such travelers will need to show valid evidence to that effect.
Currently, it’s only the authorized hospitals and clinics that take Covid tests. When leaving the destination, your travel operator will drive you to a hospital for a test within the 72-hour time frame because a corticate is required for your exit (i.e., if leaving within 72 hours of your entry).
The WHO has advised that the use of barrier masks and medical masks help contain the spread of Covid-19, and many countries have enacted policies requiring their use in public. Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya all currently have these policies in place, and we will require the same for our guests in the public areas. We will have free personal barrier masks available for all our guests while in camp, and our laundry systems will ensure they are hygienically cared for between uses. Our staff throughout your trip will be wearing masks for their own safety and well-being and our guests.
Food and Service
Picnic meals while on game drives are encouraged and of course, are thoroughly enjoyable! Hand-washing facilities and hand sanitizer will be available and hygiene strictly observed by your guide.
Safari Game Drives
Each guest group will have a dedicated vehicle and guide throughout their stay. We will offer a maximum of 5-6 pax per 6-seater open vehicle, with the passenger side sitting only 4-6 and the other driving shotgun.
Groups of 6 or more will have their own vehicles. The safari vehicle seats will be equipped with removable and washable/disposable headrest covers to be cleaned or changed daily after every trip. Your guide will open and close for you the entry door to the safari car, please do not touch or open-door handles.
Each of our guides has its own vehicle that they look after and is responsible for ensuring the vehicle’s hygienic cleanliness before and after each game drive. This includes cleaning areas of high-frequency touches, such as door handles and side armrests.
Seat steaming-cleaning or alcohol sprays will be used to clean fabric covers between uses. A no-touch hand sanitizer dispenser will be available in each car.
Your guide will be wearing a mask throughout your journey with them for both their safety and that of the guest. The mask will be designed to not interfere with their guidance and ability to speak with their clients.
To assure your safety, your guide will be tested every 14 days for Covid-19 and will hold a COVID-FREE certificate to that effect. They’ll refrain from shaking hands, hugging, pecking, or kissing guests at all times for obvious reasons.
Guests With Illness Symptoms
We have a robust medical management team who will consult with the patient and staff, advise the relevant health officials, and guide actions based on the Ministry of Health requirements in each country we operate. All guests’ safety and comfort are of the highest priority, and all our staff has received training in handling suspected cases.
Meet & Greet Services
Please do check on the latest government requirements for travel before departure. We highly recommend applying for an E-Visa where possible.
Our driver will be waiting for you at the arrivals gate with your name displayed on a sign. They will be wearing a mask and gloves for handling your luggage and will keep an adequate distance. Our car will have been thoroughly sanitized with cleaning agents, alcohol, and steamers for the seats and seatbelts before your arrival.
Accredited Laboratories to carry out COVID-19 testing in Uganda
- Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI)
- Central Public Health Laboratory (CPHL)
- Infectious Disease Institute (IDI)
- Makerere University
- Mild May Laboratory
- Tororo Mobile Laboratory
- Mutukula Mobile Laboratory
- Adjumani Mobile Laboratory
- Joint Clinical Research Center (JCRC)
- MBN Laboratory
- Medipal International Hospital
- Test and Fly Laboratory
- Uganda Cancer Institute, Fred Hutchison Laboratory
- IOM Laboratory
- ANCA Biotech
- Case Clinic
- MSF-Epicentre Lab Mbarara
- Rakai Health Sciences
- TestXpress Laboratories
- Lancet Laboratories
- Gulu University Biomedical Center
- City Medicals
- MSF Epicenter Labs, Mbarara
- ATCG Laboratories
- MAIA Group Labs
- Same Day Covid-19 Labs
List of accredited private clinics that provide Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Tests in Rwanda
- La croix du sud, Gasabo
- BMC hospital, Nyarugenge
- Dream hospital, Kicukiro
- Ubuzima polyclinic, Gasabo
- Polyfam polyclinic, Gasabo
- Carrefour polyclinic, Kicukiro
- Polyclinic de l’Etoile, Gasabo
- La medicale polyclinic, Nyarugenge
- Plateau polyclinic, Nyarugenge
- Kigali Citizen Polyclinic, Gasabo
- Legacy clinic, Gasabo
- Horebu clinic, Gasabo
- Saint Jean Polyclinic, Nyarugenge
- Polyclinic medical sociale, Nyarugenge
- Clinique Don De Dieu, Kicukiro
- Iramiro clinic, Gasabo
- MBC hospital, Nyarugenge
- Advanced med diagnostic clinic, Nyarugenge
- Galien clinic, Gasabo
- Ubuzima polyclinic, Kicukiro
- Salus polyclinic, Huye
- La medical, Huye
- Polyclinic la Providence polyclinic, Muhanga
- Peace Polyclinic
- Igihozo med clinic, Nyanza
- Benefactors david clinic, Bugesera
- Centre med Kibungo, Ngoma
- Narada clinic, Kayonza
- Clinic Sainte Therese, Rwamagana
- Rapha clinic, Nyagatare
- Proomonubus clinic, Musanze
- La medicale, Musanze
- Iramiro Branch, Gicumbi
- Clinic du mont Nyabugumba, Musanze
- Clinic mpore liberte, Musanze
- Clinic de ngororero, Ngororero
- Clinic Elisabeth, Rusizi
- Clinic de l’arche, Rubavu
- La croix du sud polyclinic, Rubavu
- Ndengera Polyclinic, Rubavu
- BARAKA Medical Clinic, Kirehe-Nyakarambi
- BWIZA Medical clinic & Diagnosis center, Muhima-Nyarugenge(CHIC 1st Floor)
- RAPHA clinic, Runda-Kamonyi
- KMC Polyclinic, Gasabo, Kimironko
- Clinique Don de Dieu, Nyarugenge
Stay safe, stay clean, Keep your facemask on!
If you’d like to Visit Uganda or need help finding a Safari Uganda Vacations holiday to suit you, we are very happy to help you, get in touch with our Travel now team and enjoy your memorable safari in Uganda and East Africa.